Thursday, December 16, 2010

Don't Judge a Man by His Books (Or Arrangement Thereof)

I have been writing quite a few posts regarding books, reading, and specifically Harry Potter. Since our family started reading Potter, we have encountered strange looks from people we love and respect. There is in many Christian circles a derision of these books. My aim, as I write these posts, is to get at the falsity of this derision, to understand in my own family why it is OK to read Potter, and to strengthen my children’s faith and ability to discern what they can or can’t do in the world. I want them to think for themselves regarding what they should read, and not simply be beholden to what those around them think.

So, my purpose in posting about Harry Potter is to work through these things thoughtfully.

Meanwhile, I want to collect other people’s wisdom about reading. My amazingly talented missionary friend reposted Sean Lucas today. Click through to read the whole quote, but here is a key part...
“But I, for one, would not want to live in a world or a church where the thought police scanned my book shelf and told me what I could or could not read. I would not want to live in a world or a church that mirrored George Orwell’s 1984. And I suspect most of my friends, regardless of theological position, feel the same way. We need the freedom to explore the world in which God has placed us; we need to trust our brothers are guided by Word and Spirit, confession and polity; and we need to believe that neither we nor our church is threatened by such exploration.”
If you are wondering about being criticized for arranging books, check this out.

1 comment:

Elijah said...

I'm enjoying your posts. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!