Tuesday, May 03, 2011

Yikes! Gas Prices Too High!

I am thankful that a I have the opportunity to work from home a day or two per week. In January an average fill-up at the gas station ran me $53. Today it is running $72 per tank.

We have noticed a similar increase in food prices. Prices have increased somewhat dramatically from week to week, while we are purchasing the same set of staple foods. Between food and gas, our family of six is feeling the pinch. What choices do I have to save money?

1. Drive less. Plan trips accordingly. Work from home.
2. Buy a more gas efficient vehicle. Hmmm. Not very practical.
3. Ride a bike. It’s cold 9 months out of 12.
4. Eat less. Don’t let my 13-year old son have free reign over the fridge.
5. Use more coupons. Lots of work; could be helpful.
6. Charge my kids rent. Child labor laws?
7. Get a second job. Not realistic.
8. ????

What are you doing to fend off higher prices at the grocery store and the gas pump?

1 comment:

Claudia (Jason's Mom) said...

Hi my son! You forgot to tell me about Wendy running a 10k run.....Those are supposed to be things you tell your Momma.

I suggest that Wendy and the kids plant some veggie starts in your flower beds...or in pots on the patio; tomatoes, cilantro, peppers, to help w/ food costs.

We are planning a huge garden. We will can as much as possible, as well as freeze the veggies that are able to be frozen. I bought a "food Saver" which takes the air out of the food bag that I am using to freeze.

I love you all!!

Mom